17 Russell Westbrook facts is the fourth installment of The Sports Truth’s Sporting Facts. Besides Kobe Bryant, Russell Westbrook is my favourite player in the NBA. In fact, he may be my favourite athlete period.
With Kobe announcing his retirement at the end of the 2015-2016 NBA season, WestGOAT will officially become my favourite active player. Kyrie Irving aka Uncle Drew is also a fave of mine but this post is called 17 Russell Westbrook facts so without further ado, here they are.
17 Facts About Russell Westbrook
- Even though he was formally drafted by the Seattle Supersonics, he never actually played in a Sonics uniform because the team moved six days later.
- He was drafted one spot ahead of UCLA teammate, Kevin Love, who was selected fifth overall in the 2008 NBA Draft.
- He has 2 national gold medals: one at the 2010 FIBA World Champions and one at the 2012 London Olympics.
- His full name is Russell Westbrook Jr. (no middle name)
- He wears a KB3 wristband and “KB3” on his game sneakers in honour of his childhood friend Khelcey Barrs, who was a prized recruit that died of heart complications at age 16 in 2004.
- Iron Man: before his first injury caused by Patrick Beverley, he had never missed a game in his college or professional career. He played 439 straight NBA games spanning 5 seasons (playoffs included).
- In February 2015, he was named Marketing Creative Director of True Religion.
- He shares birthdays with Ryan Gostling, Anne Hathaway, Sammy Sosa and singer, Omarion. He also shares the same birthday as Utah Jazz guard, Trey Burke.
- He only averaged 3.5ppg in his freshman year at UCLA as a back up point guard.
- He was the 2015 NBA All Star Game MVP. He scored 41 points, 27 of which came in the first half in only 11 minutes of play, setting the record for most post in a half.
- He is called WestGOAT by his fans. No one is really sure where the term originated but it is believed to have started somewhere on Twitter.
- For the past 3 seasons he has been eligible (2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2014-2015), he has finished in the top 2 for usage percentage in the league and is 5th among active players.
- In 2008, he won the Pac 10 Defensive Player of the Year Award and was named to the CollegeInsider.com All Defensive Team, but he has yet to win any defensive honours at the pro level.
There you have it – 17 Russell Westbrook facts as promised.
Do you wish the list was longer? Shorter? Shoot us a message and let us know what you thought about the article.